CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

By the way your name's Maalik

(Cue Dr. G in the voice of Phife)

By the way, your names Maalik
The six-foot one freak
Lets say we get together by the end of the week
He simply said, no, labeled me a hoe
I said, how you figure? You haven't been to the tourney since 1990 and my friends tell me so.


Maalik Wayns goes to Roman and is nasty. We've had two dudes come out of Roman in recent memory - they were also nasty. Good news - Maalik is coming to La Salle!...ummm...no.

Handing it over to Northstar Basketball:

NB: What went into your decision to commit to Villanova?
MW: I [have been] watching them play since I grew up, and [it is] . . . like my dream school, so when . . . the opportunity presented itself, I jumped at it.

NB: What were some of the other schools that were offering you and were looking at you?
MW: Georgia Tech, West Virginia, Pittsburgh, . . . [and] North Carolina St.

NB: When the offers first started rolling in, and the interest first started rolling in, were you . . . planning on making your decision before your senior year, or was it just something that, the time felt right?
MW: The time felt right. . . . It’s a great school, great tradition, and I just, when I visited it, I liked it a lot, and I [have been] around the program a lot, so it just felt right.

NB: What about attending Roman Catholic for high school? . . . With all the private schools . . . around Pennsylvania, what made that school the most appealing to you?
MW: The tradition. A lot of great players [have] went there, Eddie Griffin, Rasual Butler, players like that went there before me, so I just wanted to follow the tradition.


Rasual's name in there breaks my heart.

I hardly think that my college process was analogous to Maalik's. Yours wasn't either. But you had choices and you chose La Salle for one of two reasons.

1) The reputation of the school. Which for basketball, is severely tarnished.Last time we were in the tourney he didn't exist. Now if he wants to be a nurse.....

2) You made some type of connection with someone. A professor, a fellow student, an alum. Someone that made you think, "Yeah, this could be the spot for me."

So the question is - did we make a personal connection to Maalik? Did Dr. G say hello? Did Rasual call him? Did Donnie text him from Athens or wherever Donnie is? Legler? Glenn from North Dining? Anybody? Did anyone do anything besides complain on a blog at 1:05 after drinking four Sierra Nevadas?

1 comments:

Gazelle said...

LaSalle missed three Maliks in a row - Malik Sealy (may he rest in peace), Malik Rose, and Malik Allen. Time to start a new run of Maaliks.

Great point on the text messaging. Donnie texting a recruit overseas is worth way more than my annual alumni donation.